Mechanical Engineer. Dynamic, fast growing engineering & manufacturing company in Santa Barbara is looking for a talented Mechanical Engineer to join our team.
The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for the mechanical design and performance of complex custom automated equipment from concept through manufacturing, installation customer acceptance, and customer follow-up.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works in a team environment and develops innovative designs that meet, or exceed customer’s expectations.
- Creates and revises product drawings, specifications and bill of materials used in manufacturing for both established product lines and custom products.
- Generates and validates product specifications and creates clear reports and presentations.
- Prepares accurate cost estimates for equipment in the concept stage of development.
- Monitors and coordinates all aspects of the design process – mechanical layouts, details, assemblies, and control system concepts.
- Selects cost effective, reliable design components and coordinates with purchasing for timely delivery.
- Provides technical direction and problem resolution during assembly and start-up.
- Provides engineering support throughout product lifecycle.
- Follows directions and collaborates with both client representatives and internal team members.
- Executes tasks within budget and scope.
- Strong mechanical engineering fundamentals, including design principles, machine elements, materials, fabrication methods.
- Experience in precision motion control with sub-micron resolution.
- Experience in mechanical and optical measuring systems, machine vision and laser based metrology.
- 3- to 6-axis robot integration, gantry and/or SCARA robots & programming desired.
- Extensive experience with precision mechanics, assemblies, mechanisms and preferably optomechanical systems.
- Skilled in designing, building and hands-on testing of complex devices.
- Proficient with 3D CAD, preferably SolidWorks or similar, Microsoft Project and Microsoft Office.
- Experience in several of following areas is desirable: optics, optics alignment, machine tools, motion controls, electronics, lasers, data acquisition systems, measurement instrumentation.
- Should have analytical skills to consider impact of designs at a system level, and strong communication skills to interact with other engineering groups.
- Hands-on experience with basic machining tools, fabrication skills.
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical or Product Design Engineering.
- 7+ years of recent professional experience in machine design.